So, I have this friend. To protect her identity, we’ll call her Lisa because her real name is Heather. Lisa’s probably a lot like you. She owns a small business and she spends most of her time focusing on growing this business; prospecting for clients; managing her employees; and doing all of the other grunt work involved in keeping a small business up and running.
What Lisa doesn’t have a lot of time for is social media. She wouldn’t know a snap from a retweet—and to be perfectly blunt, I don’t think she really cares.
Does this sound like you? You have a vague awareness of social media but are just too ensconced in the daily grind to give it much thought. Well, you should. Consider the following social media stats, courtesy Hubspot:
- Nearly three out of four people (73%) use Facebook for professional reasons.
- During the past two years, content consumption on Facebook has increased by 57%.
- Another three-quarters of users (76%) say they use Facebook to try to find interesting content.
- More than 95 million photos and videos are shared on Instagram every day.
- Instagram has a half billion (with a B!) active monthly users, according to Statista.
- The Pew Research Center has found that nearly three in 10 adult Internet users (28%) use Instagram.
- Content consumption on LinkedIn has gone up by 21% during the past two years.
- LinkedIn is the only social media platform where usage rates are higher among 30- to 49-years-olds than with those between the ages of 18 to 29, Pew Research has found.
- A quarter of adult Internet users use LinkedIn, according to Pew Research.
- Every second, 8,796 photos are shared on Snapchat, according to CEWE Photoworld.
- eMarketer has found that 30% of millennial Internet users use Snapchat regularly.
- And going along with that, 52% of Snapchat users are younger than 25, according to Statista.
Are you getting the point yet? There is a huge potential audience your business can reach by leveraging these social channels. And we want to help you reach it. On the first Friday of each month this year, we will post another article in our “Year of Social” series. These articles will focus specifically on one social platform and the best way you can utilize that platform to drive more business.
Can’t wait to get started? Good! Check out COSE’s Social Hub, where you can begin learning how to monetize your social media efforts, use social media as a hiring tool, and more.
As I mentioned above, I know you’re probably a lot like Lisa in that your time is limited. Our goal with these articles is to be brief and get right to the takeaway for your business so you can begin to immediately build your social media strategy.
Comments? Questions? You can reach us (of course) on our own social channels. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.